Old 26-11-2007, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Default Always Wanted to Do?

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Oh - I forgot the pond (completely impractical, but I want one)

Pond saga:

There were more advantages to working heavy construction for years than just
the paycheck. We were installing a huge storm water retention system. In the
'dump heap' was a 34" re-enforced concrete bell tile. The bell end had been
cut off with about a 3 foot tail of the pipe left. "I want that!" Friday
afternoon: Brought that home. As I park in the driveway I announce to the
boys, dig a hole as deep as the tile and drop it in for me will ya...I'm
going to fix dinner. There was the usual grumbling. "Hey guys, if one of me
can get it into the truck, three of you should be able to figure out how to
get it out. Make a ramp, it's round, it rolls. Use the level across the top
after you get that thing in the hole two feet away from the angle in the
deck...~pointing~." I didn't mention I had use of a fork lift to load
it...*wicked chuckle*

That evening I mixed up Quick-Crete and put in a bottom and used a little
whisk broom to brush up the sides to make a nice seal. During the following
week the boys learn 'life skills of siphoning everyday after school since I
wanted to leach it as much as possible. The next Saturday I got two
miniature water lilies (wonderful scent!) and a pot of tall iris looking
things. Dropped in the lilies, built a 'pedestal' of brick for the tall
plant pot and dumped in 3 feeder gold fish (25cents each). I had the "pond"
right in the angle of the back deck. Did a little camouflage planting around
the rim from divisions culled from the rest of my garden......one more
successful, lovely "hardly cost anything" project complete!

During one dinner on the deck I lavished praised on the boys for their
resourcefulness and skills while admiring my little pond garden......they
just kept their eyes on their plates and all swore they were going to grow
up to live in high rise condos.

Val