Old 26-11-2007, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
HettieŽ HettieŽ is offline

Default Always Wanted to Do?

Val wrote:
"HettieŽ" wrote in message

Val wrote:

That is inspiring. Just last week I've been trying to get rid of some on
freecycle for a neighbor, some has brick facing in it from an old garage
floor. No luck.

Post that picture on "Craig's List" and put FREE in the heading. Seems to
work better around here than Freecycle.

If my latest fails, I will do that, thank you. I have checked out
Craig's list, and it doesn't seem very active for my area, have heard
many good things about it. It was so near Thanksgiving when I first
offered it, I tried again today with a link to the photo on two
freecycle lists for my area. I also posted a free classified w/uploaded
photo on our local online auction/classified site that runs for 14 days
and gets quite a bit of traffic.

When I had some, broken sidewalk in my case, and not as flat and slabby
as his, I finally paid a neighbor who offered to haul and dump it for
$20 which was a good deal. Then somebody wanted it after all. I still
had to pick out chunks from the remaining dirt pile, chip off all the
slag, do all the backfilling myself, can't remember how I got rid of
that last bit. The guy who did the cement work was torqued off at me
because I got him to do six steps and several feet of sidewalk for $800
(but I had to pay $350? about that for the cement in a truck). He cut
out on me after I paid him (I know never pay until 100% is done, the
worst was done so I paid), and I was left with the rest of the mess. He
was mad because I got custom-made ornamental ironwork rails rather than
the cheapie ones he recommended from Menard's.

"Nobody chips off slag." Well, I knew I'd want to stick a shovel or
trowel in there, and didn't want to buck concrete to plant something on
the borders. So mine had to come off. My son did some of it with a
hammer for me.

I called the neighbor to make sure he hadn't made other arrangements for
it, told him what I was going to try next. He said he had found a note
on the door from someone who offered to haul it away for $80 and thought
it might have had to do with my attempt to rid him of it. One freecycle
list didn't post the last time, the other one edited out his phone
number as being too personal, I only wrote East Name-of-Town, so I think
it was coincidental about the offer. We both agree that is too expensive.

It is a royal pain to try to get rid of some stuff, they make you jump
through hoops and pay extra landfill fees even if you are lucky enough
to be able to haul it somewhere yourself.

I have two wastebaskets full of mixed topsoil and clay from a french
drain I dug and installed (only partly effective turns out, I gave it my
all). I'd sure like to get rid of the stuff, don't want to put it back
in my garden or try to compost the clay, am waiting for a chance to get
rid of it somehow, too heavy for me to even lift (hate that, needs
someone stronger). I'd have to empty it partly out and haul to my
little car or wherever in batches.

You have a gift for writing, a way with words, humorous touches, and
seem to find very creative ways to do things for a gal (I assume you are
a gal). Kudos to you. In my old age, I am more resourceful than when
younger, and have tackled a few projects I never would have thought I
could manage before because otherwise it means beg or pay, but am amazed
at some of the things women will tackle these days, wasn't like that
when I was growing up. Roles were more strictly defined with a few
exceptions. I did dig up with a fork a large garden plot (breaking sod)
in my late 20's when my ex did about 1/3 of it and quit, I wanted my
garden. It was gruelling work for me, but I was determined.