Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Chookie

Default Fast growing fill-in trees

In article ,
"Heather Edwards" wrote:

These trees [X Cupressocyparis leylandi "Leighton green"] can be hedged and
provide screens so they can be 5m height if you're prepared to do the work.

I just don't see the point of taking a tree that is naturally 20+ m tall and
spending a great deal of effort tormenting it to get it to stay a quarter of
its natural height. The better solution is to get a tree whose mature height
is the height you want. That way you aren't constantly pruning the thing.

Bear in mind that I have grown up in suburbs where, many years ago, councils
planted yellow box everywhere, and now the electricity people chopp the
middles out of them twice a year to keep the wires unobstructed. The mangled
trees look unattractive and the pruning apparently costs a fortune. Not
something to wish on a tree or a fellow human!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

I don't regard myself as a fanatic. I just have handy milk dispensers.
-- Lee, misc.kids