Old 27-11-2007, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default A less large rose garden

As cockle shells.. but I digress.

Our roses in Lufkin, Tx - just west of the two long border lakes and La.
are growing and our climbing red rose is in bloom. Three others are as well,
but due to the low of 38 and now 40 they have slowed down.

The 2.5" of rain in several days kicked it up a notch - It was slow but
steady for a deep (inches) soak. The thatch on the lawn and meadow has
washed downhill due to the slight slope.

This is an area of deposited sandy loam from several river systems and lots
of pine forest in the past. All climbers have done very well this year, the
large reds and the small pink.

Eaten by grasshoppers at one time, the second leaf out is continuing.

We expect a freeze, rather hope for one as it cuts back on the bug collection.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/