Old 26-11-2007, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Is my apple tree sick?

On 26/11/07 21:04, in article , "Nick
Powell" wrote:

Hi all,

This is my first post here, so please bear with me.

I’ve recently moved into a property and inherited a horrendously
overgrown garden, I’ve spent much of the past 4 months clearing out
rubble and removing a lot of overgrowth. The apple tree in the garden
doesn’t look to well and I don’t think it’s been looked after for a
number of years.snip

In a previous garden I had what I was told was a 100 year old James Grieve.
And then I was told that whatever you do to an old apple tree, you do it
slowly, a little at a time. So year by year, take out any obviously dead
branches; then take out any obviously weak branches; then take out
branches which cross and rub one against the other. Aim for an open shape
in term of circulation of light and air. Most/many plants respond to light
and circulation of air. But vigorous hacking might be too much to take so
little by little is the best way forward.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk