Old 27-11-2007, 09:00 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Si[_2_] Si[_2_] is offline

Default moles

In message , Mary Fisher
writes
"David in Normandy" wrote in message
.. .
In article 548a4fb1-9149-4742-a144-cc0d92ec7640
@j20g2000hsi.googlegroups.com, geraldthehamster says...
On 26 Nov, 11:07, Richard Perkin wrote:
"CWatters" wrote
:

Indeed. Trapping works, and is easy to do.

Agreed. Don't muck about with sonic repellents - ours appeared to work
for a week, then ended up in the middle of a faerie ring of new
molehills. I tried a scissor trap that I got from my dad, that he got
from an antique shop (!), and claimed to have caught a couple of moles
with. It got set off twice, but on each occasion was empty. Bought
three traps from this lot:

http://www.theflatpack.co.uk/
(with whom I have no connection, by the way),

You can't pussyfoot about with moles. Either you decide you're going
to put up with them, or you have to get rid with extreme prejudice.

One of the worse aspect of moles is the unseen tunnels just
below the surface. I've had one or two jarred ankles while
pushing the mower along and the ground gives way under
foot. They sometimes bring little rocks to the surface too
which hit the mower blades.

There's an easy solution - get rid of the lawn.

Hmmm, that's what one of my neighbours did - covered the whole garden in
concrete.

But seriously, grass (ours is hardly a cultivated lawn) is nice to sit
on and provides space. No?

--
Si