Old 27-11-2007, 11:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bosco Bosco is offline

Default My blue spruce has killed my lawn asked again.

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 15:22:20 -0600, "FireBrick"
wrote:

unfortunately, I can't 'mulch' the tree out to the fall line.
and the other days high winds blew the needles much father than the drip
line. Much farther indeed.
It's a very dense tree and the needles and twigs build up. When the wind
blows, they tend to cover a lot of ground.

So I'll ask again...."Is there a variety of grass seed/sod that is resistant
to fir tree needles.
The tree is 30' plus, and we did have to have the bottom professionally
trimmed so that we and our neighbors could walk.

So...again, besides stone, mulch, that would not be appropriate, is there a
variety of real grass that will survive.

Please and thank you

no expert here but fwiw
and given the your criteria

you have to constantly keep the needles off the ground
aerate the soil
lay or plant grass
feed often

if the shade underneath is very dense, chances are nothing much will
actually do well.

if roots are close to the surface, not much will grow

hope it helps