Old 28-11-2007, 05:12 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default flowers on potatoes

Watching the progress of a dozen potato plants I've wondered
whether it would help them grow bigger tubers if I clipped the
flowers off as soon as buds appear? Anyone tried this?

Allowing the buds to open and in some cases develop into seed pods
must surely take energy that would suit me better if it were instead
directed towards the developing spuds.

Obviously if I had a hundred plants I wouldn't bother with this,
but with only a small garden bed it is practiceable if there's a
payoff.