Old 28-11-2007, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Is my apple tree sick?

Janet Tweedy writes
In article
,
Martin Bonner writes

It looks to me like it was hacked back a few years ago to the thick
branches. The hacked ends then sprouted lots of water shoots, and you
have lots of thin branches going everywhere.

That's what I thought Martin. I would have gone for taking those water
shoots back within one or two buds of the main frame, then take out
crossing and weak or diseased growth. (Only that way round because
getting rid of the water )
All the 'wobbly, knobbly ' twigs I would have pruned back to again, two
shoots on growth from the original prunings.

The 'wobbly, knobbly' twigs are that way because each of the knobbly bit
is where a bunch of flowers will appear. I'll cut back the ends of the
twigs where there are no knobbly bits, but never prune the knobbly bits
unless they happen to be on a branch I'm taking out for other reasons
(eg disease) - it always seems to me that the more potential fruits you
have the better. It seems to work for me, but I've no idea whether it's
the approved approach.
--
Kay