Old 28-11-2007, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
doug doug is offline

Default moles

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:23:16 -0000, "CWatters"
wrote:

"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
In message , Uncle Marvo
writes

. ..
Si wrote:
[note x-post to uk.d-i-y & uk.rec.gardening]

I have a mole at the top of my garden. The first hill appeared

about
10
days ago and the second, nearby, a couple of days ago. Both in

lawn.

What should I do? Our garden is intended to encourage wildlife but

hills
all over the grass doesn't seem to me to be a friendly hello from a
visitor. Do the sonic repellents work or do I have to insert a trap

in
tunnel and take it far away?

Hope for a really hard winter.

Brilliant idea. Another way would be to get one of the celeb chefs to

come
up with a really good mole recipe.

'There's money in them thar (mole)hills'.

--
Si

Got enough for a pair of trousers?

Wogan has more than enough.

http://www.tvscoop.tv/2007/10/terry_wogan_ups.html
--

Martin

-------------------------
Up in Cumberlad I have watched Mole catchers at work many times. Some call
the animal "Mowdiwarps".
The catchers have specially made traps. They can tell by the mounds of
soil where the mowdiwarp's tunnel run is. They can tell where the animals'
store compartment is. They take great care not to let 'hand-smell'
contaminate the trap.
A hole is lifted out and the trap is triggered and placed appropriately in
the hole . A part of the trap from the trigger sticks out of the top at
ground level.
He will set two or three dozen traps. Returning next day he pulls them out
and puts them into a big pocket inside his heavy coat, goes to the nearest
fence and skins them. There's always a wide board nearby on a fence so he
apreads the skins one at a time on the board with tin-tacks. He has a
small spade and buries the flesh and guts.
He then goes home. He'll have a drink and a "crack" with the Farmer that
evening "In't' Pub"
When he decides the skins are matured and dried properly on the shaded fence
he collects them and the package goes to places like London to be made into
long fur coats for those people with enough money..
Properly lined with silk, the coats are - (were), - in great demand by the
rich women of "Society".
Doug.