Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Heather Edwards

Default Lavender in pots?

Dear Trish,

Drainage is most important so if you plan to keep your lavender in pots you
will need drainage holes. Consider the type of potting mix you will use.
Look for a good freedraining mix with soil if it is for the long term.

Remember to fertilise it regularly and by using a wetting agent you'll need
to water a little less.

Keep the lavender trimmed and you'll find it's root system more in
proportion to the top. You could try using a saw to trim the roots in spring
where they may be balling (I know you can do this with trees) just lift it
out of the pot & slice thinly down the sides.

Root balling will cause the plant to die eventually so look for an inner pot
with grooves down the side designed to stop this. Best of luck, Heather.
"Trish" wrote in message

I bought two lavender plants and a galvanised embossed container (no
drain holes). I currently have the plants in their own pots and placed
the pots inside the container.
Two questions:
-Will the plants be happy in the pots (they look to be a little
root-bound), occasionally taking them out of the container to give them
a watering?
-If the plants need to come out of their pots, could I put some drainage
holes into the container, put some potting mix into the container and
put plants in? Can plants live in metal containers? Would I have to line
it or paint the inside of the container?

A new nursery has opened at Riverstone NSW (Windsor Rd and Hobart St).
Looks like they will be opening a cafe at some stage too. Grand opening
on the 24th November. (No affliation with said).

Thanks for any tips.
Trish.

--
Trish Stadelmaier