Old 28-11-2007, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Fruit and therefore plant ID, please

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| I was given this tonight by someone who lives in Westbury on Trym. She has
| seen these fruits growing on a bush (not a tree) in a garden and picked two
| up off the road. They smell very faintly citrusy to me and each seed
| chamber has two seeds in each side. She's not a gardener so can only tell
| me that the leaves are leaf shaped, not huge, not leathery and that the
| fruits are autumnal.
| http://i16.tinypic.com/7x8rupj.jpg

They are very like a Chaenomeles, but with larger and fewer pips
and more pronounced grooves than the norm. I would bet on that,
but can't guess the variety (it's not one I grow). If it is, the
flesh will be extremely sour, hard, with slight pear or quince
grittiness.

There are quite a few sub-tropical fruit that are very similar,
but I don't know of any that can be grown in the UK.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.