Old 28-11-2007, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Fruit and therefore plant ID, please

On 28/11/07 23:30, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| I was given this tonight by someone who lives in Westbury on Trym. She has
| seen these fruits growing on a bush (not a tree) in a garden and picked two
| up off the road. They smell very faintly citrusy to me and each seed
| chamber has two seeds in each side. She's not a gardener so can only tell
| me that the leaves are leaf shaped, not huge, not leathery and that the
| fruits are autumnal.
| http://i16.tinypic.com/7x8rupj.jpg

They are very like a Chaenomeles, but with larger and fewer pips
and more pronounced grooves than the norm. I would bet on that,
but can't guess the variety (it's not one I grow). If it is, the
flesh will be extremely sour, hard, with slight pear or quince
grittiness.

There are quite a few sub-tropical fruit that are very similar,
but I don't know of any that can be grown in the UK.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Chaenomeles crossed our minds but we've never seen any with these very
pronounced scoring in the skin. And this is a shrub, not a wall plant. I
think you've probably hit on something but it's going to be tough to pin
down. It's most definitely grown not far from their home - she sees it every
day taking the children to school. The thing is that it reminds me of
something so I wonder if you've started me in the right direction with the
Chaenomeles idea. The size of fruit would be about right.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk