Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Jane VR

Default Lavender in pots?

Trish wrote:
I bought two lavender plants and a galvanised embossed container (no
drain holes). I currently have the plants in their own pots and placed
the pots inside the container.
Two questions:
-Will the plants be happy in the pots (they look to be a little
root-bound), occasionally taking them out of the container to give them
a watering?

How big are the pots they are in? If they are the average herb pot, then
no way. If they are big pots that you might buy a shrub in, then it's
possible. Also, what kind of lavender? Normal lavender will try to grow
1 mtr or more wide and/or high, so look at your pots with that in
mind. You can get some called I think, Munstead and maybe Hidcote as
well, that grow much smaller.

-If the plants need to come out of their pots, could I put some drainage
holes into the container, put some potting mix into the container and
put plants in? Can plants live in metal containers? Would I have to line
it or paint the inside of the container?

They should be able to live in metal containers, except that the
containers will get hot in the sun and you'll have to water a lot. They
would definitley need drainage holes. How big are the containers? It
would be good if they were at least a foot across, or even bigger.

Another potential problem I just thought of, if you leave them in their
pots, make sure the pots never sit in water inside the container.

Jane