Old 29-11-2007, 07:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Fruit and therefore plant ID, please

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Chaenomeles crossed our minds but we've never seen any with these very
| pronounced scoring in the skin. And this is a shrub, not a wall plant. I
| think you've probably hit on something but it's going to be tough to pin
| down. It's most definitely grown not far from their home - she sees it every
| day taking the children to school. The thing is that it reminds me of
| something so I wonder if you've started me in the right direction with the
| Chaenomeles idea. The size of fruit would be about right.

Nor have I, about the first, but some types are pretty lumpy. The shrub
aspect is find - Chaenomeles are merely grown as wall plants out of
habit, and they don't have to be. C. speciosa, for example, is a fairly
conventional shrub.

There is one species of Chaenomeles that I have not seen (or at least
not noticed at Kew or elsewhere!) - C. cathayensis. Given that it
looks SO much like one of that group of the Rosaceae, and I can't
think of any that match except for Chaenomeles, that's work looking
into.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.