Old 29-11-2007, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Fruit and therefore plant ID, please

In article ,
"Russel Sprout" writes:

| I'd suggest Hodgsonia Macrocarpa, I don't know if there are any coomon
| names. Probably worth googling it.

Hmm. That indicates something that we haven't asked. Is there an
apple-like boundary to the seed chamber (usually with 'fingernails'),
or are the seeds enclosed in a loose pulp with no clear boundary
between that and the flesh?

If the former, it is very unlikely (impossible?) to be a cucurbit
and is almost certainly one of the Rosaceae pome fruits. If the
latter, more or less the converse applies, though a cucurbit is
only one of many possibilities.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.