Old 30-11-2007, 03:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
HettieŽ HettieŽ is offline

Default Denver area daffodil bulbs

Sarah Houston wrote:
We bought a big bag of like 75 daffodil bulbs from Costco a couple of
weeks ago.

I SHOULD have planted them then, but haven't had the time.

Is there a way I can store them and plant them next spring, so they won't
dry out or die?

I lost 50 last year. Didn't feel up to dealing with them late in the
preceding fall, so I gambled and stored them in the fridge the until the
next fall.

They had a little mold on them, but otherwise didn't *look* too bad. My
daughter planted them for me where I had by now made room, and they went
in pretty easy because it was freshly tilled but still a lot of work.

Don't recommend it. Not a one came up the following spring, and when a
landscaper planted my roses for me, there they were, rotted.

This year I planned better to space the work out and planted over 200
bulbs, including daffs, just not so many. So I would advise to plant
them now. You might want to put an augur on a drill but the drill has
to have pretty good hp. Sometimes bulb planters work, but sometimes
they are tough to get deep enough. If there is sod and little moisture
in the soil, forget it. Till first if you can.

I don't envy you. It will probably be cold working now.