Old 30-11-2007, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran Gail Futoran is offline

Default A less large rose garden

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
As cockle shells.. but I digress.

Our roses in Lufkin, Tx - just west of the two long border lakes and
La.
are growing and our climbing red rose is in bloom. Three others are
as well,
but due to the low of 38 and now 40 they have slowed down.

I think out low has been in the mid-40s so far.

The 2.5" of rain in several days kicked it up a notch - It was slow
but
steady for a deep (inches) soak. The thatch on the lawn and meadow
has
washed downhill due to the slight slope.

This is an area of deposited sandy loam from several river systems
and lots
of pine forest in the past. All climbers have done very well this
year, the
large reds and the small pink.

Good!

Eaten by grasshoppers at one time, the second leaf out is
continuing.

Ah HA! Maybe that accounts for some
suspiciously eaten parts of some of my
roses. I have seen a fair number of
grasshoppers around, but with so many
roses it's hard to notice a little bit of
damage to only a few roses.

We expect a freeze, rather hope for one as it cuts back on the bug
collection.

Martin

We seldom get a freeze over winter. Last
one was '05; three days got down to the low
20s. I can't remember the last time my
roses went dormant. Their growth will
slow down, but not stop.

Gail