Old 29-11-2007, 09:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
z z is offline

Default bird feeders

On Nov 13, 10:41 pm, "news" wrote:
I've always wanted a bird feeder in the back yard, so
I can watch pretty little birds feeding and singing. I
put up a large bird feeder with sunflower seed type
feed. And I waited, and waited some more......until they
showed up.....a flock of blackbirds....big ugly black-birds
crapping all over, taking over the yard....wanting more...
not exactly the picture perfect sight I was hoping for.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a bird feeder that
will feed the small pretty birds, and yet keep out the
pesky large blackbirds... thx

Try a change of bait; thistle seeds (they're not really thistle)
little teeny black things; best with feeders with small holes, often
just a relatively finemesh net bag that you need to replace once in a
while. The little guys like them, the big guys don't. Squirrels don't
either. They're not cheap per pound though, but after you factor in
all the sunflower seed shells you had to pay for, it's not so bad.