Old 29-11-2007, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Fruit and therefore plant ID, please

On 29/11/07 19:03, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
"Russel Sprout" writes:

| I'd suggest Hodgsonia Macrocarpa, I don't know if there are any coomon
| names. Probably worth googling it.

Hmm. That indicates something that we haven't asked. Is there an
apple-like boundary to the seed chamber (usually with 'fingernails'),
or are the seeds enclosed in a loose pulp with no clear boundary
between that and the flesh?

If the former, it is very unlikely (impossible?) to be a cucurbit
and is almost certainly one of the Rosaceae pome fruits. If the
latter, more or less the converse applies, though a cucurbit is
only one of many possibilities.

The seeds are loose in their chamber with no flesh clinging to them and
there seem to be two seeds to each chamber on each half of the fruit halves.
IOW more like an apple, yes.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk