Old 30-11-2007, 08:07 AM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Default Denver area daffodil bulbs

"Bill R" wrote in message
Bulbs just don't store well for long periods. Try to get them in the
ground as soon as you can (before the ground is frozen).
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Plant now!
I had some conflicting work schedules and ended up with a 'seemed like a
good idea at the time' bag of 200 daffodil bulbs sitting on the back porch
right after Christmas. I was living in NW Montana at the time. I just
shoveled the snow off the ground, used a pick ax to break through the by
then frozen 4-6 inches of surface soil, not as difficult as it sounds, and
dug a nice twisty, wide, long trench about 8-10 inches deep. I believe I've
read some English garden books calling this style a "sweep or drift", more
pleasing than soldier rows IMO, faster too. Tossed in what bulb food I had,
mixed it up a bit, plunked the bulbs in, shoveled the soil back over them,
slapped it down with the shovel and scraped the snow back over the trench.
They not only came up in the spring they multiplied like nobody's business
as long as I lived there.

Val