Old 30-11-2007, 02:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Mark_OK Mark_OK is offline

Default Volcanic rock?

"Duncan" wrote in message
The hydro pellets are superior in almost everyway. Unfortunantly they are
relativly expensive. Something else that no one mentioned is that
volcanic rock is often high in flourine.

My collection got upended by a tree falling on my shade house this spring
and scattering my precious LECA medium all over the yard. Some of the plants
I repotted I put in river gravel - it was about the same size as the LECA -
just to see how they would do. I know it won't wick but I sure can't over
water them! Everything thrived through the summer, maybe because our yearly
rainfall was double what we normally have here in Oklahoma. When I brought
the plants in for the winter almost all the plants in bark medium had to be
repotted due to the deterioration of the medium. Excess rain again? So I'm
trying to get away from bark medium. I like the gravel but it makes the pots
heavy. I've thought of adding sponge rock to lighten them up a little. I've
seen orchids in volcanic rock but all I have found around here is the
landscape variety that is way to large and I don't think I can break them up
into smaller pieces easily.

Anybody use gravel? Are there long range problems with it?

"BruceM" wrote in message
news
. Are there any advantages to Volcanic rock, other than it is cheap and
plentifull in Hwaii.

Cheap and plentiful - that's the ticket! Leaves more money to buy plants.

Mark