Old 30-11-2007, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Fruit and therefore plant ID, please

On 30/11/07 11:11, in article , "Stewart
Robert Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Cutting it transversely there are five seed chambers. Some have two small
| seeds in, some have one larger seed, about the size of an apple seed, just
| little smaller. The chambers are well defined and yes, I suppose you
could
| say there's a lining to them which is whiter than the pale green flesh of
| the fruit itself.

That matches the Pomoideae pretty well! I would still bet on it being
Chaenomeles or similar, because only the ridging is anomalous. But
exactly what?

5 locules is right for Chaenomeles (but also for Cydonia, and several
other pome fruits).

The fruiting pedicels of Chaenomeles are short or absent, which would be
another feature to verify.

Here's another pic of it cut across the fruit. You can see the indentations
of the ridges clearly. As I say, it's about the size of a chestnut and a
little reminiscent of one when peeled and cooked.
http://i4.tinypic.com/7yofkfd.jpg

--
Sacha