Old 30-11-2007, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Forms of Aromatherapy

On 30/11/07 12:15, in article , "Janet
Tweedy" wrote:

In article , Martin
writes

All of them pure quackery!

Adulterated quackery.

Except that Rosemary Campbell-Preston who works or did work at Saville
gardens and was knowledgeable about scent said that her daughter could
have an asthma attack brought on by some aromatherapies as one in
particular smelled like a medication she use to have when she had an
asthma attack as a child.
Okay so it's psychological but then that's quote a powerful effect in
itself at times!

I can go straight back to when we first were married and living in Army
quarters if I smell Dettol as the girl across the way used to
disinfectant the stairs once a week with a powerful agent of some type
or other but one sniff now and I'm there in 1970

Janet

There's no doubting the power of the mind and I have no axe to grind one way
or the other. But IMO if something works for good and it's psychological
influences, so what? It works where, perhaps, other methods have failed.
Hypnotherapy helped me to overcome my fear of flying (or rather, crashing, I
suppose!) and to stop smoking. It works because, as any good hypnotherapist
will tell you, they work *with* you and your mind, not in spite of it.
However, where aromatherapy is concerned we know that certain plants have
certain medicinal properties and that knowledge has been with us for
centuries. It's like dowsing - those who can't do it scoff at it, those of
us who can know just what it feels like and know that it is not 'in the
imagination'. People have employed dowsers and plant remedies for centuries
because they work. That is NOT to say that I think they should replace
alopathic medicine when it's necessary. That IS a dangerous attitude, IMO.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk