Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Heather Edwards

Default Lawn and hard clay ground? Advice needed!

Yes Matt, sounds about right to me. Though if you are going to the expense
of replanting and coring it may just well be worth your while to hire a
tiller or rotary hoe that way you know your lawn will have a better chance.
You could get some lanscapers mix and improve the soil.

If money is the concern coring & thatching is certainly the way to go. Best
of luck with it. Heather.

"MT" wrote in message
Can anyone advise me of the best way to help the lawn in our back yard
without digging it up and starting from scratch. The soil very compacted

and
has quite a bit of clay which obviously makes it difficult for the grass

grow through and is prone to dry patches and mould as the water can't soak
deeply.
We've just installed a sprinkler system which has helped a little, but my
thoughts were to also run an airator over it and then spread out some
gypsum, lime and fertiliser.
Would this be right or is there a better way to achieve a lush thick green
backyard lawn from our existing lawn without digging it up or spending a
fortune?

Thanks
Matt