Old 01-12-2007, 07:23 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Beautiful rain

"Terryc" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:

without wanting to be offensive, afaict if they rely on water allocations
from govts when it's become clear that's not reliable in any way, they're
just not going to make it & there's nothing anyone can do about that.

Well, they have no alternative really. The government forces the area to
be irrigation. To be viable non-irrigation in that area, you would need an
order of magntude more land

It is just another government cock up in agriculture.

everyone benefits from a hardcore dose of completely new thinking,

That is the mantra they feed us, but it has never been true. Once again
they are screwing the family farms to the benefit of the rich. I've been
hearing this hollow ring for over 40 years.

********. Leaving wheat stubble is a good example of something that wasn't
done 40 years ago, so is allowing a long fallow between sowing wheat crops,
so is returning areas of farming to trees because it actually increases
productivity because of the protection it gives to crops and animals.

There is a huge amount of new thinking in all areas of agriculture over the
past 40 years and it has largely comes from farmers themselves.

Rest of your post is plainly wrong. This farm has been trying alternatives
for 30 years, but unless you start with money to burn or are a stupid
gambler, it is just irresponsible to risk everything.

Now I see that lemming is about to screw all our famers again by allowing
GM pollution into crops.

And some farmers unfortunately think that GM is a good thing.