Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Andrew G

Default Drought resistant plants

"Darren Wilson" wrote in message
I've noticed a lot of trees and shrubs starting to die around Sydney as a

result
of the drought. Interestingly, the plants that are dying first are

natives.
Eucalypts, Lilli Pilli, Grevillea, Callistemon, Wattle are dying in their
hundreds. Bamboo is also dying off (hooray!).

Plants like Camellias, deciduous trees, bouganvillea and conifers seem to

be
handling the lack of water.

Is the same thing happening elsewhere?

Here on the Mid-North Coast, I would have to say yes, seems to be the same.
Some of the natives at work are starting to look a little worse for wear,
and naturally there does seem to be a few of the same you mention dying off.
Even in peoples yards it seems similar. While one I have noticed that seems
to be doing well around the place, is Camellias. Murrayas also seem to be
surviving quite well.
Perhaps they naturally have a much deeper root system?

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply