Old 01-12-2007, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default Forms of Aromatherapy

In article , R.A.Omond
writes
Des Higgins wrote:

I do not disbelieve in dowsing because I cannot explain it;
I do not believe it because I do not believe the claims that are made;
People employ dowsers for the same reason that "indians" did rain
dances.

In steps Des Higgins; anyone would think he's a scientist ;-)

Hi Des :-)

Well there's a lot of things I don't believe in, cynic that I am, yet
others find really easy to put their faith in (sometimes literally!)
However what works for one doesn't mean I would deny it's effectiveness,
we are never quite clear on WHY things work sometimes.

Wasn't it Hume who said that the miracle of religion isn't that it's all
so wonderful but that people actually believe in it. (paraphrasing on
the fly here but you get the gist)

People have done wonderful things in the grip of some weird event, look
at people who lift cars to help trapped victims, or 'know' (instinct?)
there are people trapped.

I do know (getting back to the original topic on this site) that some
gardens and houses exude peace whilst others, no less lovely just don't
make me feel relaxed or comfortable or happy.
Children seem to have the knack of 'knowing things' but are probably
using instinct which adults have learnt to quell. Good gardeners do the
same in my experience, they instinctively know the right place to put a
plant even if they don't know it well. Same with growing things, some
people can nurse a plant back to life, yet I have one friend who follows
all the right steps but kills stuff faster than I can propagate them

oh dear, rambling again, sorry, trying to put off starting to print 1000
newsletters on the litho and even cleaning the oven is becoming more
attractive to stave off starting the job
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph