Old 01-12-2007, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone someone is offline

Default Seed potato sorts

"Marco Schwarz" wrote in message
Hi..

Next season I'd like to try out the following sorts (seed potatoes are
available here):

# Arran Victory
# King Edward

Any suggestions..?

Other recommendations..?

Thanks in advance..
--

I don't think you're writing from the U.K. so unfortunately you won't be
able to take advantage of Potato Day next February (type Potato Day into

Alan Romans has written a splendid book on seed potatoes, we have the
condensed version which we buy at Potato Day every year. It gives the
characteristics, colour, cooking qualities, bug resistance, and lots of
other qualities, as well as if it's Early, Mid-Early, Maincrop, or Late.

http://www.alanromans.com/p-1530-ala...-potatoes.aspx

We love Arran Victory (1918), it's a Late Maincrop, great for mashing.
To paraphrase Alan Romans, "This is the oldest Arran variety still available
and is rare. High yielding if given a long growing season. Vivid
blue/purple with bright white flesh. High dry matter, very floury and
tasty. Foliage is vigorous, weed suppressing and has blight resistance.
The tuber almost certainly has some blight resistance and stores well."

King Edward (1902), Early Maincrop. Good cooking and eating quality .
It's not as fluffy as Arran Victory, but OK for most things.

You might want to think about a lower dry-matter potato like Charlotte for
making a potato salad. Don't even consider Arran Victory for a potato
salad.

someone