Old 01-12-2007, 09:44 PM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default Beautiful rain

"Terryc" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:

without wanting to be offensive, afaict if they rely on water allocations
from govts when it's become clear that's not reliable in any way, they're
just not going to make it & there's nothing anyone can do about that.

Well, they have no alternative really. The government forces the area to
be irrigation. To be viable non-irrigation in that area, you would need an
order of magntude more land

It is just another government cock up in agriculture.

everyone benefits from a hardcore dose of completely new thinking,

That is the mantra they feed us, but it has never been true. Once again
they are screwing the family farms to the benefit of the rich. I've been
hearing this hollow ring for over 40 years.

well, i'm not actually 40 years old, so i haven't ;-)

it's true though. while it troubles me that family farms are being screwed
over to benefit corporations (cubbie station anyone?!) that doesn't negate
the fact that many family farms have been doing things all wrong off their
own bat & nobody has had anything else to do with that. and many of them
still DO despite everything we are able to know now. farm1 gave just a
handful of examples.

unfortunately, some people just think that to do things differently or to
try different things means they've been wrong, & they don't want to accept
they were wrong. shrug

Rest of your post is plainly wrong.

what, john howard _hasn't_ lived his entire life as if it's 1952? ;-)

This farm has been trying
alternatives for 30 years, but unless you start with money to burn or are
a stupid gambler, it is just irresponsible to risk everything.

fair statement - but many things are cheap or free. equally, it's just as
irresponsible to do nothing differently. in & of itself, lack of money
doesn't seem to be the reason.

Now I see that lemming is about to screw all our famers again by allowing
GM pollution into crops.

i am still too enraged about that to email them, yet. gah!!!!
kylie