Old 02-12-2007, 12:22 AM posted to aus.gardens
Terryc Terryc is offline

Default Beautiful rain

0tterbot wrote:

well, i'm not actually 40 years old, so i haven't ;-)

I'm older, but I did benefit from early exposure,

that doesn't negate the fact that many family farms have been
doing things all wrong off their own bat

I am not sure about the "own bat" angle, but agree that many are not
making any effort to update practises.

fair statement - but many things are cheap or free.

They are the easy ones. For this farm and I guess many others, the major
changes are not free. e.g. sodd seeder is ~$500K, which farm can not
borrow without absolute guarantee of water to grow crops to make sales
to make repayments.

I know there are plenty of famers who are doing the right thing, but I
also know there are quite a few that are trapped by current circmstances.

BTW this farm actually had shelter belts and salt bush planting, plus
other stuff well before it was even widely considered. It is also
returning one area to native vegetation.