Old 02-12-2007, 03:05 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Trying to ID a mysterious fruit

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 2/12/07 11:09, in article , "bof"
wrote:

All that sounds like the bush I have that was identified as a
Japonica/Japanese quince by a knowledgeable source. Having just braved
the wind and rain here's what the fruit off mine looks like:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/00f1c46a.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/108fc07f.jpg

not such regular pronounced ridging but it's definitely there.

Sorry but no, that's not it. The ridges are neither regular enough, nor
pronounced enough. We have a Chaenomeles on the wall outside the front of
the house and I've had a look at that one, too. My friend says it looks
like a minute pumpkin, which is a very good description. Ray thinks it
looks like a small (as in teeny) Satsuma once peeled and of course without
the white pith etc.

The photo that bof gives does look suspiciously similar to the pic your
posted.

Since the lady who is asking you to identify the plant walks past the plant
each day, can't she nick a bit of the foliage and give it to you?