Old 02-12-2007, 08:49 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Default Trying to ID a mysterious fruit

In message WiE4j.87755$cD.32967@pd7urf2no, graham
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 2/12/07 15:33, in article , "bof"

Coming in rather late - I wonder if it is a variety of Loquat, Eriobotrya
japonica. I know the typical fruit is not grooved, hence the suggestion
that it's a variety. The stucture is similar.
Graham

I looked into that as a possibility when the image was first shown.
Eriobotrya has persistent sepals at the apex of the fruit, and the
fruits are smaller (1/2" in diameter). (The last applies to the wild
type; it may be that there are cultivars with larger fruits.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley