Old 03-12-2007, 01:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default covering fence

On Dec 1, 4:08 pm, "Bob" wrote:
Hello Im new here but I have a question. I have alot of fence on my place I
would like to cover them with something , not only pretty but one the birds
will use.
I have jasmine planted on the deck so I'd like something else. I have been
reading about Trumpet Vine and Silver Lace Vine, but I hear it can get away
from you and be a problem. Anyone have a opinion.
Thanks Bob

Trumpet Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens)
Smilax smallii
Porcelain Berry (Ampelopsis brevipedunculata)
Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus)
Grapes (Vitis)
Unfortunately many vines that are loved by birds do seem to be those
that you may find invasive. Keep an eye on them and cut back when
needed. Of course, the fact that they have berries that the birds eat,
adds to the problem, as the birds will "plant" more of them for you!

Emilie
NorCal