Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Old and Cranky

Default Morton Bay Fig

Problem solved!

A Qld DPI entomologist has identified the pest as a type of thrip.

"Jane VR" wrote in message

Old and Cranky wrote in message
Hi,

I have a 2 metre high ficus macrophylla which is being attacked by

insects
that collect on the underside of the leaves. The leaves curl and get

bumps
on them similar to what psyllids would look like. The attack starts on

the
leaf edges, the leaves curl and usually kill off about half of the leaf.
However the insects causing the damage are tiny black insects, about 2mm
long, very elongate (narrow) which a distinctive point on their tail. I

can
see no wings.

just guessing, based on the name, but it could be fig blister mite.

we used to spray the figs with white oil, which seemed to help.

Jane