Old 03-12-2007, 01:46 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Trying to ID a mysterious fruit

In article ,
June Hughes writes:

| It certainly sounds possibly that it may be some sort of japonica to me
| - mine produces red fruit (which are poisonous) but to have them at this
| time of year is a bit of a mystery. Ii have not researched japonicas
| but mine flowers in spring and the fruit is a result. It's all over by
| May. It is strange that I have nothing in either the RHS books or
| cookery books.

Eh? "japonica" is a species name. It is normally used for Chaenomeles
japonica (or C. speciosa or C. x superba), the Japanese quince, and
the fruit are normal at this time of year and most definitely NOT at
all poisonous.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.