Old 03-12-2007, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
SolFrankRosen SolFrankRosen is offline

Default pruning Bradfords

thanks in advance... I live in central NC and have 3 Bradfords that
I'd like to prune to protect the house and the trees too. One is about
14" trunk diameter (15 years) and 25' tall.... the other 2 are 11"
trunk diameter (11 years) and 20' tall. When can I cut them, where to
make the cuts, etc. I'd like to reduce the general sizes down to about
half there current size. This would mean dozens of cuts of course, but
I'd like to improve the trees, even though for a couple of years they
might look funny. I've seen people around here really cut them back
far, but I need some advice before.... thanks! Sol