Old 03-12-2007, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
z z is offline

Default should i cover my raised garden boxes?

On Nov 30, 7:27 pm, "Dan L." wrote:
In article
,

z wrote:
On Nov 22, 10:41 pm, sockiescat sockiescat.
wrote:
as some of u know im from southwestern ontario. zone 5b.
i did finally manage to get two 4 by 8 raised garden boxes built but
never got them planted until later in the year.
the thing i am wondering now though is what to do with them
for the winter. some people have said i should tarp them, others
have said just leave them.
so my question is should i cover my raised garden boxes as i do
not have a lot of leaves that i can gather up to cover them or
should i just leave them as they are?
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated . cyaaaaa, sockiescat.

--
sockiescat

I just leave mine, but in the growing season I use plastic mulch to
cover them, with holes every half foot or so where I stick the plants,
to keep the weeds out. If you don't, you might want to cover it in the
offseason to eliminate picking up weed seeds, although it might not
make a difference. But as for the soil itself and the box, no problem.

My My My .... I posted the same question myself last year.
So ... I have to say, do great minds think alike?

When you cover your box you will create an extremely beautiful dry home
for all those cute cuddly mice. The mice will love you

'Tis true; I did have the wee beasties take up residence under plastic
one winter.