Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Chookie

Default CAMELLIAS & LIME

In article ,
"SUNSHINE" wrote:

With the drought being so bad I am using anything I can find for mulch, and
with 5 big gums in my yard there is a plentiful supply of leaves and bark.I
s Lime beneficial in helping them to compost and if so will it have an
adverse effect on my Camellias?

AFAIK lime does not help the composting process. I believe you need a carbon
source and a nitrogen source to compost. The dead leaves and bark are your
carbon source; animal manure is the usual nitrogen source. However, I have
heard that the oil in eucalyptus leaves makes life hard for other plants.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

I don't regard myself as a fanatic. I just have handy milk dispensers.
-- Lee, misc.kids