Old 03-12-2007, 05:14 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Default Trying to ID a mysterious fruit

In message , Mike....
writes
Following up to (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

"Some sort of japonica", in normal usage, can mean only one of the
Chaenomeles. Japonica as the name of a group of plants means that
and nothing else.

are there not various "japanese" quinces? I understood the meaning to
be that. I had an ormamental one in the garden for a time.

Yes, there are "japanese" quinces. They just happen to be identical to
the plants of genus Chaenomeles. (And they're not poisonous.)

My guess is that June is thinking of Camellia japonica, which does have
fruits of roughly the right shape and size.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley