Old 03-12-2007, 04:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Kurt[_2_] Kurt[_2_] is offline

Default No ice on this pond

In article ,
Galen Hekhuis wrote:

Not that I expected any ice. I live in one of the few states (I think
Hawai'i is the only other one) where they don't have any road signs
that say something like the overpass freezes before the rest of the
roadway. Here in Florida we firmly believe that ice belongs in
drinks, not on roads and certainly not on the sidewalk. We had sort
of a freeze here a while ago. I say sort of a freeze, because it got
some plants but not others, shoot, it even got just parts of some
plants. The banana plants got trashed, but right next to them there
is an elephant ear plant that has some leaves that got totally nuked,
but then on the same plant there are leaves that look totally
unscathed. There's another plant (I forget the name) that is
completely fine, until you get about 5 inches up, then it looks like
it got frozen silly. Not far away are the diplodinia, which are kinda
woody and have easily survived frosts before -- they've even kept on
blooming, but they got nailed. It's the freakiest and most uneven
freeze I've ever seen. I've still got dragonflies buzzing over the
pond, too many to count, and there are even some butterflies still
chasing after the flowers that remain.
--

Nice here in Ventura. Gotta love So. Cal. No freeze. I've got Plumerias
that still have flowers! Florida without the humidity. ;-)