Old 03-12-2007, 06:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default OT Acorns

Galen Hekhuis wrote:

As many of you know, I live outside of a town called Live Oak. It
isn't at all surprising to find that my house is located under several
large live oak trees.

I've always wanted to know: what's a Live Oak? How does it differ from any
other (non-dead) oak?

It kinda adds to the charm of the place. Except
I also have a metal roof. These trees tower a good 20-30 feet above
my (metal) roof. Long about this time of year they start shedding
their fruit, which is, of course, acorns. Each gentle breeze brings
showers of acorns down on my (metal) roof. It isn't just a gentle
"ping" when these things hit, either. They come down with a vengeance
and go "WHAM."

I bet. When the squirrels run across our well-insulated, asphalt-shingled,
roof they make a racket. I'd hate to think what they'd sound like on a
metal roof (and probably dropping acorns - come to think of it, are you
sure it's a breeze? It's probably squirrels throwing the acorns!).

cue music:

They're coming to take me away
To the funny farm...

ha ha, ho ho, hee hee...