Old 03-12-2007, 07:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Galen Hekhuis Galen Hekhuis is offline

Default OT Acorns

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 12:03:57 CST, Derek Broughton
wrote:

Galen Hekhuis wrote:

As many of you know, I live outside of a town called Live Oak. It
isn't at all surprising to find that my house is located under several
large live oak trees.

I've always wanted to know: what's a Live Oak? How does it differ from any
other (non-dead) oak?

A live oak differs from other oaks in that it does not seem to drop
its leaves in the winter, aside from having smaller leaves than other
oaks. The live oaks never seem to get bare like other trees. I don't
know if they are actually classed as "evergreens."

It kinda adds to the charm of the place. Except
I also have a metal roof. These trees tower a good 20-30 feet above
my (metal) roof. Long about this time of year they start shedding
their fruit, which is, of course, acorns. Each gentle breeze brings
showers of acorns down on my (metal) roof. It isn't just a gentle
"ping" when these things hit, either. They come down with a vengeance
and go "WHAM."

I bet. When the squirrels run across our well-insulated, asphalt-shingled,
roof they make a racket. I'd hate to think what they'd sound like on a
metal roof (and probably dropping acorns - come to think of it, are you
sure it's a breeze? It's probably squirrels throwing the acorns!).

I've got motion detectors all around the outside of the house. Some
of them detect magnetic changes, they will pick up on a car or some
large metal thing moving, but ignore things like deer. Others pick up
on motion, no matter what causes it. A large piece of Spanish moss
falling will set those off. If *anything* moves within a few hundred
feet of the house, I know it. I've tuned the sensitivity on the
actual motion detectors so they won't go off when a squirrel is
running around, but they will go off when an armadillo trots by. I
also have cameras all around too, and many is the night I've watched
deer or some other critter scamper around. Anyway, the motion
detectors all have different sounds, so I can not only tell a critter
is around, I can tell pretty much where it is. I have the motion
detectors and cameras not because I'm paranoid and think people are
out to get me (although they are), but because I'm generally nuts and
I like to watch critters. Anyway, I mention the motion detectors
because when several of the acorns hit it sounds like someone is
pounding on this "manufactured" home (doublewide trailer). I don't
know how many times recently I've been in that state in bed between
being awake and asleep only to hear someone banging on the house. But
none of the motion detectors go off so I know it isn't someone
pounding, it's those damn acorns. I don't know what huge tree limbs
would sound like hitting the roof, but it's probably worse, because
that's what the just the acorns sound like.

cue music:

They're coming to take me away
To the funny farm...

ha ha, ho ho, hee hee...

As I think about it, I think that part was done without any musical
accompaniment. My bad for cuing it.
--
Galen Hekhuis
"Mistakes were made"