Old 04-12-2007, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning Stephen Henning is offline

Default pruning Bradfords

SolFrankRosen wrote:

Thanks for the tips... one question, if I want to reduce the overall
height and/or diameter of the entire tree say from 25'x25' down to
12'x12' can this be done? I can get rid of the verticals and the ones
close to the trunk. But I still I'd like a smaller tree. With apple
trees over the years I had really taken 25 footers and butched them
down to 12' and got a smaller healthier tree, but I don't know if
Bradfords could withstand this type of pruning. Ideas?

I don't see any problem in doing that. To keep the spring bloom, it is
still best to prune after they bloom. However, to avoid the heavy
branches with leaves, it is best to do it before they leave out. So I
would cut the big pieces in winter or very early spring when it is still
dormant and the smaller pieces after they bloom. After severe pruning
they are in a weakened condition so water if you have drought, and spray
if you have an infestation. Try to avoid additional stress the first
summer.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://rhodyman.net