Old 04-12-2007, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cheryl Isaak Cheryl Isaak is offline

Default OT - can opener

On 12/4/07 8:14 AM, in article ,
"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:

Dioclese wrote:
Something's buggin me. Rather insignificant at first. Now, its becoming a
problem. Its the manual can opener. I regularly open two small cans of dog
food a day, people food less often regurlarly. Use a manual can opener as I
have small acreage on the countertop. In the past 2 years I've tried one
electric initially that couldn't hold most cans including the dog food can
in place to cut the top. So, I figured manual would be best. Some last a
couple of months, some don't work right at the get-go. There are 2 common
failures. The cutting wheel bends at the axis point, AND/OR, the geared
friction wheel fails to turn the can. Less common during those failures is
the handle cover falls off. Also, the closing of the handles goes beyond
its intended closure to maintain hold of the can; twisting and bending the
closing axis point of the handle fulcrum point. The only problem with the
standard all-metal type is that it won't do all can sizes, at least that's
what I've found.

Before I jump to the 15 dollar range for a manual can opener, what are you
folks using? How long has it been used?

We have an Oster electric that works quite well. Been in use about 6
months and works like new. Before, I used to tell my wife that we can
put men on the moon but cannot make a decent can opener

Frank

I'm getting myself one of the OXO manuals when I spot one next. Don't know
the price but it is a dream to use. Used my cousins to open 10 cans of
cranberry sauce and it was painless on these old hands.

BUT - have you thought about one of the under the cabinet ones? Mine is
ancient and still works great!