Old 04-12-2007, 02:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default OT - can opener

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message ...
Something's buggin me. Rather insignificant at first. Now, its becoming
a problem. Its the manual can opener. I regularly open two small cans of
dog food a day, people food less often regurlarly. Use a manual can
opener as I have small acreage on the countertop. In the past 2 years
I've tried one electric initially that couldn't hold most cans including
the dog food can in place to cut the top. So, I figured manual would be
best. Some last a couple of months, some don't work right at the get-go.
There are 2 common failures. The cutting wheel bends at the axis point,
AND/OR, the geared friction wheel fails to turn the can. Less common
during those failures is the handle cover falls off. Also, the closing of
the handles goes beyond its intended closure to maintain hold of the can;
twisting and bending the closing axis point of the handle fulcrum point.
The only problem with the standard all-metal type is that it won't do all
can sizes, at least that's what I've found.

Before I jump to the 15 dollar range for a manual can opener, what are you
folks using? How long has it been used?

--
Dave

I don't remember what it costs, but I've been using Swingaway manual can
openers for years. I haven't run into a can yet that challenged this tool. I
got mine at the supermarket, but I've also seen them at Bed Bath & Beyond,
Linens & Things, and sometimes hardware stores.