Old 04-12-2007, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cerumen[_3_] Cerumen[_3_] is offline

Default Septic Tank: how often to clean?

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Malcolm" wrote in message

I've lived with septic tanks (if you get my meaning!) for the last 35
years. At our last house, we had it emptied about every three years,
which seemed to be adequate until the day it started overflowing
following a torrential downpour, which just happened to coincide with
higher than normal use of baths, etc. The clear-up was not pleasant and
involved some expensive alterations. I've gone for annual emptying ever
since, which has been well worth the cost, in my view. I now have a
standing order with the local council and don't even have to remember to
ask for it to be emptied.

A daughter lives on a Welsh mountain with a septic tank, they've been
there for at least twelve years and have never had the tank emptied. I
thought the system developed bacteria which dealt with solids and they
drained away harmlessly.

Hers is an organic farm and she is scrupulous about not allowing anything
which would be hostile to the bacteria down the drain. She uses special
dishwasher tablets, laundry and other preparations. There are two adults
and a small child so baths are frequent and laundry is too - she only uses
washable nappies.

I have also not needed to empty mine in the 15 years I have been in my house
and nor did I in the time I lived on a Welsh mountain with a very similar
set up. The only thing that goes into the tank is the toilet waste, all
other waste pipes and rainwater is fed direct to a soak away, no bleach or
other anti bacterial chemicals are allowed in the toilet and the proper
functioning of the tanks drains and soak away has meant there has been no
need to empty anything.
Anything that does not do that is a cesspit rather than a septic tank in my
opinion and they need emptying when they are full which of course depends on
usage.

--
Chris
Ignoti nulla cupido