Old 04-12-2007, 04:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
HettieŽ HettieŽ is offline

Default OT - can opener

Dioclese wrote:

Before I jump to the 15 dollar range for a manual can opener, what are you
folks using? How long has it been used?

I've been using a Swingaway chrome plated w/red vinyl handle covers for
at least 20 years now. It has been skipping lately which is annoying,
especially hard to open small cans like tomato paste. The can slips out
from the grip, and the blade may have become a little dull, but it's so
darn handy.

Many cans have tab openers now. And some have curved bottoms that don't
give you a second chance if you mess up the first try on top. I have to
be careful not to cut myself with some of the contortions I've been
through trying to pry a partially-opened lid up.

Now that you brought it up, I'll get a new one ASAP even though I have
an electric one.

One of my big pet peeves is when the tab breaks on sardines, etc. Then
out come the pliers and whatever works to save the contents. Sometimes
I can still open them with a regular can opener.