Old 04-12-2007, 06:34 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes June Hughes is offline

Default Trying to ID a mysterious fruit

In message , Ophelia
writes
June Hughes wrote:
In message , "David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)" writes
June Hughes wrote:

In message , "David
Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" writes
[]
One fruit I particularly like but don't see much in the UK shops is
grenadilla (is there an English name?). Divine! Lidl (of all
places!) was selling them a while back...

We don't have a Lidl near here, although they have just opened an
Aldi in North Finchley. Are they similar in what they sell, please?

Similar- not quite the same, at least in the UK. Aldi (and Lidl) are
quite variable- excellent buys for some things. For example, fresh
mozzarella, proscuitto di parma. They also had an _excellent_ syrupy
balsamic vinegar a while back- the regular balsamic they have is
fine, but nothing special. Also, when in season they stock local veg-
excellent lancashire tomatoes in the ones here! Also, the baby leaf
salad is good. At the moment, the jumbo shrimp and scallops are very
good. Don't buy the lobster, very disappointing...

Thanks David. When this cold has gone I shall go and have a look.

I am a Lidl fan too

Yes, I know, O but we don't have one near here. Finchley is reasonably
close.
--
June Hughes