Old 04-12-2007, 07:50 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Trying to ID a mysterious fruit

In article , "Ophelia" writes:
| Sacha wrote:
|
| UK- I'm talking about passion fruit you buy in shops...
|
| Oh, sorry. I'm on a single-track gardening mind, obviously!
|
| Does passion fruit grow on passiflora?

Yes. Passiflora edulis is the one most commonly found in shops,
P. caerulea is the one most commonly grown outside (and has yellow
fruit much like P. edulis, but insipid), several species can be
grown in warm locations, and P. incarnata can be grown if its
roots are dryish in winter. Lot of the warm-location and greenhouse
ones produce edible fruit, often called granadilla in some
countries.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.